Re: [pct-l] A question...

Tim Kearns Asked:

>1). Sleep. I can never seem to get a good night sleep when on trail. Any
>suggestions or ideas

If you have difficulty sleeping on hard surfaces, you might want to
compromise some extra weight for a therm-a-rest.  They make them as light as
under a pound, and you can inflate to your desirable thickness.  Also, I
found I don't get much sleep during the first few days of a long distance
hike.  You'll find you'll sleep better after the 3rd to 5th day.  Is there a
problem that doesn't allow you to sleep well (too cold, warm, etc.)?

>2). Food. Do any of you have
>suggestions for food that you have found which works well and is
>remotely appealing?  Just give a suggestion or two.

My personal favorites:  Try other bulk pasta with various Cup-a-Soups for
flavor.  If pasta isn't appealing, try one of the many Lipton rice dinners.
Can of tuna with a pack of Mayo and relish on pita bread.  Peanut butter on
bagels.  Mac-n-Cheese with pepperoni.  Now these are not by any means a
fancy meal, but they are lightweight, and easy and fast to make after a long
day of hiking.

-= s =-