[pct-l] Re: hiking bums

bjensen4@juno.com (Birgitte Jensen) writes:
 > Did I ever tell you (I've told everybody else) about
 > the time after one of my disaster-packs, when a family offered me the
 > doggie-bag from their Denny's dinner out of pity for my "plight"?  Any
 > other PCT Bums out there?       bj

When I was section-hiking from Castella to Cascade Locks in '97, my
package didn't make it to Elk Lake (that pesky UPS strike), sending me
into Bend for food.  As I wandered around the next morning waiting for
stores to open, two separate people asked me if I "had a place to
stay," and offered me coffee and such.

Speaking of Bend, let me put in a plug for it as a pretty damn nice
town stop.  It seems like a long way off the trail, but it's
incredibly easy to hitch from Elk Lake into town (as you come down to
the road from the trailhead, Bend is to your left). I waited less than
ten minutes either direction, and the ride is probably 45 minutes.
Considering how few towns there are along the Oregon PCT, this might
be a nice break.  There's a decent hostel, plenty of motels, and lots
of good places to eat.  Check out the Deschutes Brewing pub; that's
some good Oregon beer.

chris