Re: [pct-l] Geritol

Note: Please be advised that I support limiting the number of pack animals
and drastically increasing the charge for packers using the wilderness. I
don't think Geritol=Handicapped except as a political argument [A damn good
one I'm sorry to say].
\
Geritols:
To me a geritol is a state of mind where comfort becomes very important.
Vodka and Geritol, a Tired Bloody Mary. [Want one? You're a geritol!]

Geritols will spend money for comfort where they wouldn't have at an
earlier age. Eventually, most backpackers stop packing either because the
have to [health problems] or the juice ain't worth the squeeze [the
enjoyment is not worth the lack of comfort]

OK, if you are a backpacker at an age where most quit you may or may not be
a geritol. If you are still believing [pretending] you are young you are
not a geritol, no matter what age you are. You may walk shorter, you may
walk less but YOU are doing it -- you are not a geritol. On the other hand,
if you take horses to Shephard Pass because you wanted to save the 6000
foot gain when you would once have  walked it, you are a possible geritol.
If you take horses to a lake where you once packed as a boy [girl] and
enjoy the packers setting up camp, cooking, cleaning up and turning down
your bed -- and the cost for that is well worth it -- you are definitely a
geritol. [Please note, nobody ever said that geritols are stupid]

So my plan is to support those hardy souls that are attempting the trek
north the next couple, three years and understand the southern part of the
trail way better than I do -- then walk supported as far as I want -- as
soon as the technology is available. Does this make me a geritol. Hell no.
I'd have done it this way ten years ago. Our trail name circa 1985 --The
Sierra Wimps