Re: [pct-l] Geritol

At 01:19 PM 1/14/99 +0000, you wrote:
> At 51 years of age and a section hiker, I can't
>quite figure out what's with the term "geritol"?

The term comes from the commercial horse outfitters in the Sierra Nevada.

They refer to their older customers as "Geritols" and they say that the
only way these  folks and other physically hadicapped people are able to
visit the backcountry is on the back of their livestock.

IMHO this is hiding behind political correctness to sheild themselves from
attack from those attempting to apply the same rules to them that apply to
us: limitted use of the wilderness by wilderness permit quotas.

By claiming to provide access to the handicapped, (I guess they consider
you handicapped) they justify their overuse of a limmited resource. Who is
going to argue for something that would deny access to one group of citizens?

YMMV. Standard Disclaimers apply