[pct-l] Geritol

Though I have been a faithful (daily) reader of this list I have never
made a contribution. At 51 years of age and a section hiker, I can't
quite figure out what's with the term "geritol"?  Is there a fear that
at a certain age the only way to get strength and ability is out of a
bottle? Some of the strongest people I know are "geritol".  My favorite
hiking partner is 63 yrs. old and can put in 20 miles a day, with the
best of them. Certainly the wisest, most polite and understanding people
I know are "geritol".  And, may I point out that the life experience
that comes with being "geritol"  more than compensates for what MIGHT
not be as strong as it use to be. We all know this is a nation of youth
orientation, i.e., "geritol" age is not only not valued but it is
greatly feared, by most. But, as my husband would remind those of you
who might hint that the "geritol" age is something to fear and/or try
your best to avoid, "Would you rather do business (read: hike) with a
fly by night outfit or an old established firm?"  NOTHING replaces
experience that comes with age. So, I've had my say.  For the record,
I'm not up set, just having fun pointing out that youth is not the only
desired time of life.  I, as most people my age, would never want to go
back to their youth. Not without the knowledge we now have, and, is that
not the definition of "geritol", knowledge and experience?