Re: [pct-l] Esbit Alternative

Brooks Hull wrote:

<<I just tried the military's alternative to the Esbit heat tab.  It is
called Trioxane, different than the old Hexamine.  It seemed to me
that the Trioxane burned cleaner than and did not smell bad like the
Esbit tabs.  I did not notice a difference in the ease of lighting
the two tabs.>>

I also tried the Trioxane in my Esbit stove and had a different experience.
I found the Trioxane easier to light, but a tab burned out in about 5
minutes.  This is fine for reheating a military MRE (the designed function
of Trioxane), but it wasn't long enough to cook a Lipton's dinner or
homemade rice or pasta dishes.  If someone has a suggestion as to how I
might better use Trioxane, I'd love to hear it, since it (unlike Esbit
pellets) is easy for me to find locally at a low price.

Lucian ("Bristlecone")