Re: [pct-l] Maps, Suunto, Casio and Avocet

Svein wrote:

<<A watch-GPS would be great. I've also heard rumors about a Casio one,
but I haven't seen it advertised or found any info about it. I'd love to
find out more. >>

Here's the scoop on the new Casio GPS, which appeared on the Reuters wire on
January 6.  No information given about batteries.   Here's the URL for a
photo of the thing:

http://www.excite.com/photo/img/r/japan/19990106/tok01d?r=/photo/r/990106/11
/tech-watch

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese watch-maker Casio has come up with a new gadget
for the outdoors enthusiast who has everything but a sense of direction -- a
wristwatch that pinpoints your position by satellite.
Casio said Wednesday it had developed the wristwatch, equipped with a Global
Positioning System (GPS) function, as a useful navigation aid for people who
pursue a variety of outdoor activities, including mountaineering, skiing,
boating, fishing, and cycling.

The built-in GPS works by using information from 27 satellites around the
globe to pinpoint the wearer's current position.

"If you wear this wristwatch, you will never get lost when you go
mountaineering," a Casio spokesman said. "The new gadget has a function to
guide you if you set the destination beforehand."

The prototype GPS wrist watch also has 60 percent less in weight and cubic
volume than conventional hand-held navigation systems, the company said.

Casio expects the watch to retail at around 55,000 yen ($490) when it goes
on sale worldwide in June and is aiming for sales of 30,000 units in the
first year, the spokesman said.

Lucian ("Bristlecone")