[pct-l] Maps, Suunto, Casio and Avocet

On maps. North is up.

Compasses: In 98 it was a big advantage to have reasonable orienteering
skills. A wristwatch compass (no matter how accurate) will only help you
get the general direction because you need a longer "line" than they
provide to get an accurate bearing (maybe someone could explain this
better, don't know the correct English words).
You also can't put the compass (a wristwatch one) on the map to find the
correct number of degrees for a compass course. Doesn't help you much if
the compass display the correct number of degrees if you don't know what
the number is supposed to be.

On a "normal" year I'd say the digital compass is more than enough. It
will point you in the general direction, which is what you need most of
the time. It's also great for finding the best camp spot. I like getting
the sun as early as possible in the morning, so you just have to know
were the sun rises, and make sure you have no trees between you and the
sun.

Casio. I hiked the AT and the PCT with the Casio triple sensor. Compass,
thermometer and altimeter. (Saw it on sale at the REI web site a week or
two ago). I've had an endless series of problems with it. The batteries
dies in less than a year (even if you don't use the functions a lot). My
first one worked OK on the AT. Then the batteries died. Had to send it
to Casio to get replacement (expensive and time-consuming). Then (about
half a year later) it started fogging in wet weather even though it's
supposed to be waterproof. Then it died again overnight. Don't know if
it was the batteries or not. Got a completely knew one in March 98.
Used it on PCT in 98. It died again at Tualoumne? Meadows (going south).
Had to do the main part of the Sierras (finished at Kennedy Meadows)
without compass, watch and altimeter. Incredibly annoying. Tried to get
new batteries at Radio Shack afterwards, but they couldn't fix it.
That's the current status. I'm going to try to get my money back, but
haven't gotten around to turn it in yet...
Forgot, the wristband! broke after a year.

Suunto. After my thru hike I was really fed up with the Casio. Happened
to go visit a REI. Found the Suunto. At the same price it does exactly
the same as the Casio and then some.
*	It has a larger memory
*	Better max elevation (more than you'll ever need).
*	It has an accumulated elevation gain/loss function (same as
Avocet)
*	You can select feet/meters and C/F (temp).
*	You can select several other thing like logging intervals.
*	THE BATTERY IS USER/FIELD REPLACABLE

It actually fix everything I wanted fixed on my Casio. Someone has
really been thinking here (of course they have been able to look at the
Casio, so it's a bit unfair). I haven't used the Suunto enough to say
how reliable it is. It could be even worse than the Casio...

The user interface: I liked the Casio better. The Suunto is confusing.
When you change mode the main display changes, so you have to check the
mode to find out what you're seeing. It also lacks the graphical
presentation of the Casio. It doesn't display seconds (default). Not too
important on a thru hike, but pretty useful when trying to get to the
metro in time. When displaying large numbers the Suunto has to break it
into two lines. The Casio just seemed better in this sense. Suunto has a
lot of "sub-modes". Then again, there are functions on the Casio I've
never used because they're too difficult to find without the manual.

Avocet. I've never used one myself. Considered it when buying my first
Casio. Don't buy one! If it hasn't been improved it lacks backlight. It
has fewer functions. The one interesting feature is the accumulated
elevation gain/loss. Casio lacks that, but Suunto got it. A friend have
one, and he had it repaired even more than my Casio.

Accuracy: I've compared the Casio and the Avocet when it comes to
elevation. They seemed almost exactly equally accurate/inaccurate. The
key is to calibrate often enough (as with any pressure based altimeter)
if you want absolute elevation. I use it mostly for elevation difference
and don't bother calibrating.
Time: OK
Temperature: Doesn't work as long as you keep it on your wrist. OK if
you don't.
Compass: I've compared both Casio and Suunto with an ordinary compass.
Seems OK, but you really can't get very accurate readings with them
(actually the readings are accurate, but you can't tell exactly which
direction the "arrow" points).

A watch-GPS would be great. I've also heard rumors about a Casio one,
but I haven't seen it advertised or found any info about it. I'd love to
find out more. My big question would be battery life and accuracy. The
normal GPS seem to get only 20-30 hours out of AA batteries. What would
you get from a watch-battery? Seem like a breakthrough in battery use
would be necessary.

Svein