Re: [pct-l] Re: Watches

I'm not a thruhiker. I need an alarm to get up. Otherwise I wind up hiking
in the heat of the day and go about 1/2 as fast. Also, I use a countdown
timer to take a break every 55 miniutes. The suunto vector has one.

I don't believe that the electronic compass is a substitute for a manual
compass. Once you find the bearing you need the altimiter/electronic
compass does a good job of keeping you on track but you'll need a
conventional compass for actual map work.

For non-thruhikers, in the Sierra,  the ability to do simple cross-country
opens up a lot of area. I am experimenting with a route-finding process
even a FOF [fat old fart] like me can use. First I carefully map out the
cross country route that I want using Topo! software. In these boring
winter months I can take lots of time finding the most gentle route --
according to the map. Second, I set up way points {LAT_LON} at critical
locations along the cross-country. I use a 12 channel Garmin GPS. This is
also amusing in January-May. Finally, on the trail, I use my altimeter [the
altitude readings form a GPS are notoriously inaccurate] and the way-points
to keep on-trail.

Why all this trouble? Well, the #1 problem for a FOF is getting off the
Class 2 stuff into Class 3 [which I can handle but not well and not for
very long] or Class 4 [which I can't handle at all] terrain. This process
should guide me back to flatter terrain after the obligitory detours based
on features not shown on the map [large boulders, sticker bushes, cliffs
etc.]

What about getting in trouble? Well the satelitte cell phones cost $2000
and weigh 5 pounds [way too much]. I expect that within two years they'll
be down to 6 ounces. Then, If I get in trouble, BJ can come rescue me. Till
then I hike with a party of 4.

What does this have to do with thruhiking? Nothing! However, when you are
blazing up the trail @ 4 mph and look up towards some interesting terrain
visualize a FOF picking his way through at 1/2 mile an hour. It might amuse
you just as the thought of you eating corn pasta for five months amuses me.