[pct-l] Re: Altimeters, maps, compasses!

In a message dated 1/10/99 3:21:39 PM US Eastern Standard Time, Slyinmd
writes:

<< It tells time too, but that very well maybe the least used function! >>

It's not often I get reply to my own post!  Early on in my AT hike, a seasoned
hiker told me a watch wasn't needed, that time had very little meaning on the
trail.  Simple reasoning being, when the sun came up you hiked, when it set
you slept.

But for the first 1700 miles of the trail I always wore a watch and for the
most part could accurately pinpoint my position.  "Dead Reckoning" is the
term, I believe.  Then one day it broke.  I was never at a loss for it,
although, they help when trying to make it to the PO before it closes.  But I
was also very comfortable in my hike, had short days planned and "if" I needed
to know the time, I could always ask another hiker.

The PCT is a totally different trail for many reasons and since I've never
even seen it, I think I'll have my watch fixed or possibly buy a new toy,
along with a compass.

Sly