Re: [pct-l] Horses, 175 at a time

At 02:37 PM 1/7/99 -0800, <goforth@cio.net> wrote:

>Where's the Hilton Lakes Trailhead.  I want to avoid this place for sure.

Lateral trail off the PCT near Bishop.

>Imagine stepping off the trail for 175 horses all strung out on the trail.
>
>Why was there such a big party? a film crew? A circus?

It wasn't a 175 horse train,  it was several smaller groups totaling 175
for the day. And since the pack station there doesn't have 175 pack
animals, I'd venture to say that the same animals made several trips into
the backcountry dropping off or picking up differnt clients. This was
supposed to be the heaviest use day last season.

You can put in your two cents worth, but there is already a range war going
on over changes to the pack outfit use in the ongoing revision to the
wildnerness plan in the Inyo NF area.