RE: [pct-l] Banning Horses

Reynolds wrote:
>Banning Horses? This will effectively ban geritols from the backcountry.

When I become a "geritol" in several years I plan to go ultra light, use a
llama, stay out of the high Sierra Wilderness areas or do what a former
neighbor of mine did for many years after his back gave out:  He fashioned
a PVC - two wheel - cart that attached to his waist belt and carried his
pack behind him.  He had some trouble in certain places and had to unattach
and carry it across some bad rocky areas, but in general the large wheels
and flexible PVC handled most uneven surfaces.  I know this type of
contraption isn't allowed in certain areas, but he went went all over the
high Sierra with it over a twenty year period and has never had a ranger
comfront him about it as it caused very little impact: two tracks in the
dust or mud.  Since there is no driving traction to the wheels, only
passive dragging, they dont tear up the ground.

You wont catch me on the back of a horse when I can no longer carry the
pack on my back or use the muscles in my legs!

There are millions and millions of acres of National Forest land that
horseback riders can ride in that are beautiful and fun.  Where I have a
problem with horsepackers is in the delicate and preservation worthy
Wilderness Areas and National Parks.  I believe a compromise must be made
and this is where I believe the line should be drawn.  There are other ways
for the physically limited to access the best areas and there will always
be some group of people or type of disability that is prevented access by
the nature of the Wilderness areas, their remoteness and lack of roads.
This is a price we, as a society, must pay and recognize in order to
accomplish the greater good of long term preservation.

As another compromise we could restrict horsepack riders to only those with
disabilities that prevent them from other methods of access.  Are there
compromises or alternative solutions that the horsepackers are offering
that may help with this issue?

IMHO and offered not to inflame, but to foster honest discussion without
emotional extremizm.

Greg "Strider" Hummel