Inrto & ramblings

Hi, been lurking for a while & now & then make a post.

I thru-hiked the AT in 88. In 95 I attempted to thru-hike the PCT but
like most (all but 6 that I know of) chose to skip around the Sierras
due to the high snow pack that year. From Kennedy Meadows I hitched
around them up to Burney falls & continued north. I  left the trail that
year at Stehekin not wanting to hit the Canadian border until I
completed the trail. This year I hiked from Donner Pass south to MT
Whitney. I know lots of potential Thru-hiker have lots of questions not
answered in many of the books available. So here are some of my
thoughts;

AT vs PCT; There are a lot fewer people on the PCT verses the AT, yet
the shorter season & since most follow one of Jardine's schedules most
of the hikers meet at some point 2) Although you will find trail magic &
trail towns on the PCT it is not as prevalent as the AT. Where hundreds
of hikers pass through a place on the AT only a couple dozen do so on
the PCT. 3) Water scare on the PCT means that! 15 miles between sources
can & often does become the norm on the PCT if not further. 4) The PCT
is easier due to the grade making for more miles, yet you have to do
more to thru-hike it.

Shelter; On the AT I carried a tent tarp, & found it sufficient due to
the numerous shelters. On the PCT in 95 I used a one man single wall
Garuda Jalon-Jalon tent & loved it. After deciding not to finish the
trail that year my pace became more relaxed & I spent many several rainy
layover days in it. It was also great for those bug infested sections
where I would dive in & kill the dozen or so bugs that followed me in
before I could relax. For this years 5 weeks around August I carried a
bivy for most of it. It worked fine considering there was only one night
of showers & one real night of rain. Having used all three I would take
a tent if I had to chose.

Technical gear; Carry an ice axe & know how to use it. If you know how
to self arrest & chop steps for the early morning snow traverses it
should be all you need.

Partners & shared gear; Be ready to travel alone. Several people I knew
that had partners split along the way. Some had combined food drops
which became a hassle when one person arrived in a town before the
other. If you share a tent, stove...I would have back ups ready to be
sent if you decide to go solo.

Enough for now. In a few days I give my ramblings about supply drops I
used.

Mountain Mike AKA Tex on the AT in 88

--------------59FFDA8BB9929F0FE406EC90--