[pct-l] Re: PCT

Hi - you wrote:

>I keep reading on some of the hiking sites that the PCT is actually
easier
>than the AT to thru-hike. What is your opinion?

Yes - what makes it easier is the consistency of it's grade. Usually 10
percent and less, with smooth tread and generally free of the New
England-type rocks and roots. Yes, there are very long ascents and
descents, many in excess of 3,000 vertical feet (as much as 8,000
vertical) but it winds around, switchbacking. The southern AT is much
like the PCT, especially the Nantahalas from Standing Indian to Wesser,
the Smokies from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap, the Mount Rogers area,
and especially the Shenandoahs. However, when the PCT is buried under
snowpack, all bets are off. There simply is no trail, and you are forced
to wing it with map and compass navigation, ice axe, etc. This is
actually a good thing because it adds variety to the kind of walking you
are doing. "Easy" may not be the best term to describe the pct because
there are factors to be considered out there that you don't really have
to worry about on the AT, but it IS smoother and thus faster, something
really noticeable, especially for people used to New England hiking. All
of these descriptive terms are very relative. Hope that helps.

wc