[pct-l] re: What is the BakePacker

re: What is the BakePacker
The BakePacker is from Strike Three Industries. I happened across it
somewhere and sent an artical to Backpacker Magazine in the 80's. Amazingly
they published it. I also contacted the manufacturer and revised their
overly complicated receipes.

What is it:
It is a round grid that sits in the bottom of your standard pot. It covers
the bottom of the pot about 1" high. It weighs 4 ounces.

What does it do:
Essentially the BakePacker is like a double boiler. You fill the pot with
1" of water or just covering the grid. You mix food in an ordinary plastic
bag [1 gallon size] and place it on the grid. The water transfers heat
[from the stove] to the plastic bag but the bag does not burn. The contents
actually bake. {I know this sounds impossible but it works and I have never
had a bag burn}

What can you cook with it.
The simple stuff is baking preparations. Corn Bread, Muffins, Cake,
Brownies and Bisquick all produce their own variety of cake/bisquit. Just
add powdered eggs when the receipe calls for it [Bisquick is self rising.
Eggs are not required]. Don't bother with oil even if the receipt demands
it and don't worry about icing. You'll not need it.

Scrambled eggs is also good although I find that I have to stir then about
twice. Fish [fresh caught naturally] is also very good.

Obviously, you can get tricky. Pizza is essentially a small cake/bisquit
plus some cool topings -- cheeze and tomato sauce. There are commercially
prepared foods for the backpacker. They are seriously complicated.

How much trouble is it?
You cook in a plastic bag. There is no mess. For cake I simply place the
cooked cake on the Pot top, peel back the plastic and use my fingers. The
cake is hot. I kinda like it chewey. I buy the "Pudding in the Mix" stuff
because I like a moist cake.

What about fuel?
Depending on altitude {and the sixe you are cooking] it takes 12-20
miniutes after the water comes to a boil. I use a very precise control
stove that allows me to keep the pot just at a boil so fuel spent isn't
much

Where can I get It?
REI for sure; http://www.ewalker.com/adgear/cookoven.htm for another