Re: [pct-l] Beef Jerky

David_Clark@candle.com writes:

<<    I got me one of them thar food dehydrators for Christmas. Any one got
some good Jerky recipes. I have been playing a little but not happy with the
results. >>

Here's a recipe that I've had since the early 70's. I'm no longer sure of the
original magazine source. Enjoy.

Charlie Jones
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How To Make Jerky

Throughout our nation today, millions camp and pursue outdoor activities
mostly for the shear pleasure and enjoyment of being with nature. However, to
our ancestors--the woodsmen, trappers, traders, pioneers and Indians who
roamed the wilderness decades ago--outdoor living was often a case of simple
survival.

So, of course, food preparation played an important part in their lives. Their
food had to be nourishing, tasty, easy to prepare, and it had to require
little preservation. It's not surprising, therefore, to find that sourdough,
pemmican, harvestable grains, hardtack and jerky were basic food sources.

One of the favorites for taste and convenience was jerky. And today, whether
in camp or in a modern kitchen, you too can make jerky. it's great as a
complete meal, or you can eat it as a snack or quick-energy pick-me-up. It's
particularly well suited to backpacking, hiking, canoeing and camping. As did
our ancestors, you can chuck jerky into a coat pocket or duffel bag and tote
it wherever your backcountry wanderings might take you.

But enough of this. Let's get down to the fixin's for good eatin'. Old-timers
will swear that salmon, venison, or elk meat makes the best jerky, but beef is
easier to come by and still turns out fine.

When you're shopping, remember that jerky tastes like jerky no matter which
cut of meat you buy. Therefore, don't be afraid to pass up that expensive
steak for a slab of cheaper meat like flank.

Select a cut of beef about 1/2 inch thick and very lean. Trim off every bit of
excess fat and gristle. With the beef on a flat cutting board, slice the meat
into strips about 6 inches long and no less than 1/4 inch wide. Jerky shrinks
during the drying process, so meat cut any thinner will turn to brittle
sticks. Cut your strips with the grain, unless you plan to make some pemmican
later on. In that case, cut across the grain so the meat will shred easier
when it's dried.

Now place a layer of the strips in the bottom of a glass bowl. Lightly
sprinkle the meat with a flavored salt. I like hickory-smoked, garlic or onion
salt best, but you might like to use something more potent like barbecue
seasoning or chili pepper.

Then add another layer of strips and repeat the salting. Continue the process
until you've prepared as much meat as you think you'll need. Finally, cover
the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight. This will season the beef.

The following day, put the strips on an ungreased cookie sheet and place in
the oven with the temperature at about 180 degrees. (I prefer to use the
"grilling pan" that came in your oven so that remaining grease can drain away
from the meat.) The trick in making jerky is to dehydrate the meat, not cook
it, so keep that oven heat low.

The drying process usually takes about 5 hours. The jerky is ready when it
takes on a coal-black appearance, although the meat should be neither charred
nor burned. To avoid overdrying, I use a simple taste check at about 3 hours
and again at 4 hours. The finished product will be rather brittle on the
outside, tough and chewy on the inside.

No preservation is necessary, although I usually store the jerky in a wide-
mouth jar with a screw-top lid or wrap it in plastic bags. This merely keeps
the jerky clean, free of dust and the like.

Historical accounts say that trappers and Indians kept jerky for as long as a
year with no deterioration. However, since you'll be preparing smaller
quantities than they, your supply will probably be lucky to survive a day of
hungry campers.

Preparing jerky in the field is also relatively easy. Follow the same
procedures just outlined, then place the covered bowl in the shade or in a
shallow stream. The following day your beef will be ready, if you've placed a
rock on top of the container to keep the raccoons away.

Use your reflector oven, or even a Dutch oven will do nicely. Put these near
the fire, preferably one of glowing embers, not live flame. Put your hand in
front of the oven. If the heat is too hot for your hand, it's too hot for the
jerky--so back the oven away a few inches. Then heat the meat 'til it's done.

Jerky is pure protein, so you can eat as much as you can hold. It will give
instant energy yet, being free of carbohydrates, won't add pounds to your
weight.

When using jerky in stews, simply toss the jerky into the pot with the rest of
the makin's. The jerky will quickly absorb moisture during cooking and will
enlarge to nice, plump, tender pieces of meat.

When it comes to pemmican, some of the old-time trappers and sourdoughs used
to use about 50 percent fat. However, that's kind of unpalatable to most of
our tastes today, so try this recipe:

Crumble the jerky well (using the crosscut strips); then add an equal amount
of cranberries, choke cherries or other type of berries. Raisins work fine,
too, and you might want to even add some chopped nuts. Add a bit of sugar also
if you have a sweet tooth. Melt a bit of beef suet, mix all the ingredients
and form into small balls. These can be stored indefinitely in plastic bags.

So, there you are--delicious and nutritious. Try jerky today, and it will
become a permanent part of your camp larder (whatever that is), I'm sure.