[pct-l] Re: TR answer, Tyvek, 1.3 oz nylon

Tom Reynolds wrote:
>1 -However, the people planning a thru-hike on the PCT in 1999 do if they
plan
>to use this tent. It would be good if you could post the "waiting time if
>you ordered today" estimate so thet can make their plans.
And
>2-You are starting a journey that is longer and more difficult than any
>thru-hike -- the journey of your own business. You will be overwhelmed many
>times but it is better to be overwhelmed with interest than underwhelmed.
>Your going-in assumptions will be challenged and perhapse changed many
>times.

1 -Right now I'm backed up into February, but am still searching for an
in-America<g> sewing contractor who can handle production at a high quality
rate. If I can find one, then there will be no problem for anyone to get
their Nomad before leaving.
2 - Boy, are you telling me! <vbg> I had an inkling of that, but reality is
often much different than the imagining, right? :-) Thanks, Tom!

Joanne Lennox was asking about the suitability of Tyvek for long distance
hikes, durability wise, as a shelter. IMO, it will work, but the lightweight
nylon is a better choice. I had 2 Nomads constructed of Tyvek last for
entire AT thru hikes this year, but there isn't much life left in them, and
they'll require a good bit of TLC to make it that far. The nylon can be
found at Quest Outfitters in Sarasota Fla (800-359-6931) or from Outdoor
Wilderness Fabrics (800-693-7467) - I have purchased from both places. The
fabric is very thin, but strong - for instance, my Nomad just spent 3
untended days outside here (Indianapolis) as a near blizzard blew through -
9" of snow overnight, followed by a day which went from snow to sleet/ice to
freezing rain to snow again, all with constant winds well over 20 mph, temps
in the teens and lower, sub-zero wind chills in the teens as well. I had to
use a hammer and screwdriver to chip the tent stakes out of the ground this
morning when I decided to take it down. It went through it all none the
worse for wear. The key to strength with thin fabrics does lie in the
stitching and reinforcement. And many people have successfully used shelters
(tents, tarps, and bivy sacks) constructed of this material for long
distance hikes. On my tarps, because of greater susceptibility to wind
stresses, I edge reinforce with either nylon tape or a nylon webbing (your
choice - the webbing is stronger, but weighs an additional 2 oz), to allow
the tie out points greater stress-taking ability. Good luck with your
experiments!

Kurt Russell
Wanderlust Outdoor Gear
See the 1.5 lb Nomad lite bivy shelter at
http://wanderlustgear.com