[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #637

Tom wrote:

>This Wanderlust Nomad Lite LOOKS [in pictures] like it's easy to erect.
>Unfortunately, the solo-owner of wanderlust e-mailed me today. Seems his
>computer died and he's "overwhelmed". Anyhow, he is not likely to start on
>the tent until he gets my "snailmail" which I mailed right away. I
>explained to him that I would like to report on the tent in time for 1999
>thru hikers to receive my review, make a decision and order the tent if
>they wanted to. However, he didn't seem to read that part -- or respond if
>he did.

It is very easy and quick to erect - if you take longer than 2 minutes, then
you are the kind of person who truly believes in delayed gratification
<vbg>.
to chime in, nor the knowledge or experience (I feel) to do so - I've simply
been spending the last year learning, as I would like to hike there some
day. I have 2 other thru-hikes on big NSTs to complete first, and I plan to
work my way west to the PCT.
I would like to clear up what is represented here. I *am* overwhelmed -
response to the idea of the Nomad has exceeded my expectations, I have had a
computer failure and subsequent upgrade - no small matter to a Web-based
business - and have also been dealing with the holiday season in the midst
of this (Haven't we all?) To paraphrase, "Ain't startup businesses great?"
:-)

It's not that I have to recieve your order/deposit, or anyones for that
matter, before I will consider starting it - it's that many other people
have ordered before you (several of them from this list), and I will not
"jump" one persons order ahead of someone elses so that I can sell more
Nomads. Selling a bunch of these is not my priority - keeping to my word and
delivering a good product is. If that means I start slower, so be it, I do
not have a problem with that at all. If Wanderlust ceases as a business, but
everyone who received products from it was very satisfied, then, to me, it
was a resounding success, a great opportunity to learn, and a chance to meet
people from other places.

Heck, I'd only planned on selling maybe 15 or 20 Nomads to AT hikers this
year. Now they're going to be with thru-hikers on the AT, CDT, *and* the
PCT... :-) I'm going to be a *lean mean learning machine* this coming year!

I don't mean to cast aspersions on Tom - but it is very important to me that
I be represented for who I am and what I am doing, not an interpretation of
it. I apologize that I may not have explained this succinctly enough in my
letter to him.

There will be Nomads going out to members of this list within the next
couple of weeks - both as "sold" models, and as loaners (for the express
purpose of testing by individuals who are on the West Coast, and who had
contacted me weeks ago). I feel sure that they will be very happy to share
their experiences with you - both the good and bad. I will be learning from
them too, and I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

Again, sorry that I didn't make my position clear enough to you, Tom. I
would have gladly addressed this directly with you in the same manner, had
you requested some clarification. As it is, I am new to this whole process,
and I thank you for the opportunity to speak and learn. Also, I do look
forward to hearing from you when you receive your Nomad :-)

Kurt Russell
Wanderlust Outdoor Gear
See the 1.5 lb Nomad lite bivy shelter at
http://wanderlustgear.com