Re: [pct-l] tents

Re: Weights: combination wet weather+ tent

1-My family uses a Sierra Designs lightweight jacket and pants. They are
reasonably waterproof and weigh less than a pound, together. I also found
FrogTogs that are breathable and slightly less weight 12-15 ounces
depending on size. They would probably hold up better than the Sierra
Designs but are lots more expensive.

2-The best ground cloth for a tent is 1 mil polyethelyne scotch taped to
the bottom of a tent. It won't last an entire PCT trip but is easily
replaceable. Weight for a solo tent-about 3 ounces.

3- This brings me to a tent. My belief is that the best choice [money
aside] is the Stephenson 2RS for two people [3.5 pounds total, 1.75 pounds
each] and the Stephenson 3RS [4.5 pounds total, 1.5 pounds each for three].
You could save 1 pound off each tent by using the single wall 'X" version
but you would be sacraficing the flrxibility of a 4 season bomb shelter + a
very ventable tent for hot nights. A true weight saver would probably opt
for the X version. At 2.5 pounds the Stephenson 2X is the lightest 2 man
plus gear tent I know [the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight and several tents
like it are about 4 pounds and slightly smaller]

The following is catalog data:
The lightest 1 man tent I can find is the Sierra Designs Divine Light, a
single wall tent at 2 pounds 2 ounces. Cost is over $300. The Wanderlust
Nomad lite {first mentioned to me on this forum} is a significant
improvement at 1.5 pounds and $225. It gets the weight loss through using
adjustable hiking poles for tent poles. [tent specific poles are available
for $20 and bring the weight up to 1# 15oz.]

The conclusion: Frog Togs [14 oz average], Nomad Lite [24 oz] and
polyethylene film/scotch tape [3 ounces] add up to 41 ounces total for tent
+rain gear.. You get a real tent, not a tarp and real water gear, not a
poncho and save 1/2 a pound for a total cost of about $300.