RE: [pct-l] Re:Therm-a-Rest

Hi,

I have used both thermarests (regular & "ultralight") on an unfortunately
small number of summer and fall trips up to a week in length.  I've also
used the "ridge rest" pads and played with the Z-rest pads.  My experience
has been in the East, so I can't speak to PCT conditions.

For trips where I don't expect to sleep on snow I now use a 3/4 length Ridge
Rest.  I find it comfortable enough if I sleep on my back, but if I try to
sleep on my side my arm falls asleep.  I tried it on snow once (in my back
yard) and found that it just didn't provide enough insulation.  When I threw
an additional 3/8" foam pad underneath it was fine.  Perhaps "extra" clothes
would do as well in a pinch.  Or do like Ray Jardine and find some nice duff
below the snow line.

I didn't find the Z-Rest as comfortable.  I suspect that I just weigh too
much for it, and that the pad just collapsed under me.  I'm 6'2" and weigh
about 200 lbs.

Cascade Designs publishes the R-values for all of their pads on their web
site (http://www.cascadedesigns.com).

R-Values:

	Inflatable Pads
	2.7-3.5	"litefoam mattresses"
	1.7-2.6 	"ultralight"
	3.0 - 4.6	"standard" mattresses

	Closed Cell Pads
	3.1		Ridge Rest "deluxe"
	2.6		Ridge Rest
	2.2		Z-Rest

The "Ridge Rest Deluxe" is suprisingly comfortable and quite light for a
full length mattress (18 oz.) but is bulky.  I estimate that cutting it down
to 48" would reduce the weight to 12 oz. and would help with the bulk.  If
you want a closed cell pad, but decide you need more resilience than the
regular Z-Rest and Ridge Rest give you, you might take a look at the "Ridge
Rest Deluxe".

-- Jim Mayer