Re: [pct-l] Fuel Usage

:I was searching around on the web trying to find a formula for boiling
:points at altitude, when I found something that I'd forgotten - if you
:dissolve something (like salt) in water it raises the boiling point. So you
:might be able to use that to (somewhat) counterract the lowered boiling
:point from altitude. For any of the college students on the list who might
:be taking chemistry, does this make any sense?

Yes, adding salt to water raises the boiling point, so that would help with
cooking times. However, most people add salt to cooking water at home too,
so it might not have enough of an effect. I'm not sure how *much* the
increase would be either; I'll check around.

Karen Elder
Albuquerque, NM, USA