Re: [pct-l] Jacket, stove, maps, pants...

Good questions; here are my opinions.

GentlyTred@aol.com wrote:
> 1.  I'm interested in opinions about getting a good gortex jacket vs. using a
> wind/water repellent shell jacket with "polartec" fleece under (or other
> layers as needed).  (I'm leaning toward the shell - based on weight, cost, and
> somebody's equip. list and explanation I saw online somewhere)

Despite our most fervent prayers for dry weather, it will rain.
Personally, I like to hike in the rain sometimes, as long as I can keep
myself warm and fairly dry.  To me the choices come down to an all
purpose gortex parka or a shell AND plastic poncho to keep me dry.  I
have an REI "Go Everywhere Parka" that weighs in at 23 ounces and does
everything I expect a parka to do.  In particular, it wears well under
my pack, doesn't ride up, and keeps my butt dry.  It's pricey, and I
agonized over the alternatives, but after 2 years use I am totally
satisfied.

> 2. And, speaking of fuel,
> when people fill up their bottles at resupply places, I assume they buy it
> there, and what about leftover fuel?

Have you considered including fuel in your resupply packages?  Postal
regulations allow it as long as the container is labeled.  I use 16
ounce screw top cans and transfer the fuel to my fuel bottle at the
resupply.  That way you can send the right amount for the next segment.
A little leftover fuel gives me a great excuse to bathe in warm water!

> 3.  Maps:  Do people carry topos?  Use the maps out of the guidebook?  Use no
> maps at all?!?

I think the guidebook maps along with the text are adequate for most
conditions (I haven't tried to navigate in snow).  I keep my reading
glasses with the map.

Happy trails, Tom