Re: [pct-l] Jacket, stove, maps, pants...

You wrote:

>2.  Stoves:  I have a Whisperlight.  Is camp stove fuel available at
most
>resupply points?  Have others carried this stove and what was the
outcome?
>I've used mine for 3 seasons of hiking with no major problems so far.
Should
>I invest in the International Whisperlight (in order to use gasoline if
>necessary - or will it most likely not be necessary)?  And, speaking of
fuel,
>when people fill up their bottles at resupply places, I assume they buy
it
>there, and what about leftover fuel?

In the section I hiked (northern half) coleman fuel was not a problem to
find at all, with the exception of Shelter Cove Resort, OR, where they
didn't have it only because they were new owners and were still clueless
on how to sell it in small doses. That should change for '99. An
international would be better for those few times when having to settle
for unleaded. Most hiker-oriented places will sell it by the ounce, so
there wouldn't be any left over.

>3.  Maps:  Do people carry topos?  Use the maps out of the guidebook?
Use no
>maps at all?!?

Despite the narrow coverage, I was very happy with the guidebook maps.
Very accurate in how the trail was drawn on the USGS ones. They're
generally not essential when the trail is snow free or outside of
section O (no, I'm not criticising that stretch), but they're great to
have anyway. For first timers the accompanying text is a valuable tool.
In the end, however, it comes down to personal preference (how much info
you want with you). I met atleast a few - small minority - who didn't
carry either maps or text. Just a profile or something similar.

Take care,
wc