Re: [pct-l] the Pacific Crest Trail

Dude Spellings asked,

>This year I hiked from Lake Tahoe to Mt. Whitney.  In this part of the
>PCT, I was able to manage about 20 miles per day.  I have heard of
>others hiking farther in a single day, but I don't see how I could go
>much farther.  Have any of you out there been able to do substantially more
that 20 mpd in the Sierras?

In 1987 muself and a friend did the JMT from South to North and did it in
8.5 days. We averaged about 28 miles per day. Our first three days were only
about 20 miles each and then we picked up the pace and managed more miles
per day.

We did not fish and did not take side hikes. Our trail time was from about
7:30 in the morning to 7 or 8 in the evening. Our packs weighed 30 pounds.
Our background was that we had both run ultramarathons and were comfortable
doing long distances and pushing ourselves. My friend used a stove while I
had all cold food.

We had a great time and my personal aim is to do it again, solo. I am
considering the JMT and the Tahoe-Yosemite at the same time.  What were your
experiences? Did you go North to South? How did you resupply?

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
author: FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers
web site: http://www.footworkpub.com (check out the book here)