[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #582

I found Greg's account of the Ranier climb so fascinating and
inspiring.  I've never done any climbing but it's something I
seriously want to get into.
     I may as well introduce myself since I'm a rank newcomer to this
list.  I'm from TN and I'm preparing to do an AT thru-hike next
summer.  I want to do the PCT too (probably in sections), so I'm here
to start learning about it.  My dad moved to Riverside in '94 and on
my visits I've gotten only a little taste of the CA mountains.  That
brings me to my first question: I'm planning a visit in mid-December.
Is there any part of the Trail, not too far from Riverside, that I can
do then?  I'll probably only have a few days--but why not get started?!

---Montedodge@aol.com wrote:

> Great reading about your Mt. Rainier climb (Greg) of 1977. We wanted
to do all
> 14000ft peaks along pct, but but were running a little late 1977  to
make an
> attempt of Rainier.  Your sure right about the Ingrams ice fall being
> dangerous, We did climb it in 1981 six days after 11 people where
killed there
> by large falling seracs. The seracs were all jumbled up right off
the route in
> a large crevasse. We all walked by in absolute silence. (real
eerie).  One
> word for people who climb Mt. Rainier with the guide service, Guides
in the
> days past have been nice,mellow,courteous and very helpful to
private climbing
> partys on the mountain. This year , we did a nice lesurely 3 day
climb on
> Rainier, the guides with the climbing service treated their clients
like
> cattle all the way up the mountain. There were about 4 private
partys on the
> mountain also going to the summit, the guides act as if you where
trespassing
> on their property and were rude and pushy.We didn,t have to pay
> climb with them,so maybe they thought we did,t belong. ( Most were
in their
> mid 20,s very loud and unprofessional. They were angry that we did
boot axe
> belays(as the park ranger advised) over some ladder crossings in the
ice fall
> and took to much time as they were behind us. Climbing with them is
like going
> to a ride at the fair. (you pay ,go up and get out of the way as
fast as
> possible) People climb (or Hike) to relax and enjoy the scenery, but
be jacked
> around by some espesso freak guide!  Monte
> * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |
http://www.backcountry.net   *

==

Becca DuBose
Mountain Dancer
ME ----> GA '99

I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?"