[pct-l] PCT Marker Posts

I was hiking with a friend along the PCT recently north of Gumboot Lake in
Section P. The trail was well marked with short wooden posts.

Except for the post's dimensions (perhaps 3by6 inches instead of the 4by4 inch
post that I normally see), they also had a 3-digit number located just under
the PCT logo.
They appeared to be consecutive, but may have only been getting larger as we
hiked north. I think the number was somewhere around 200+ by the time we
reached Scott Mountain Summit.

Does anyone know the purpose of these numbers on the posts?

Just curious,
Charlie