[pct-l] bear canisters - markable?

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Douglas W. <douglas@resnet.gatech.edu>.
* Please use <douglas@resnet.gatech.edu> to reply to the sender.

The bear canister I just got for my JMT hike is completely black and seemingly hard to find in the dark.  I am thinking of painting or taping bright stripes onto it so that it would be easier to spot if a bear decides to practice field goal kicks with it.  Anyone perceive problems or concerns? Recommendations?

I'll keep it inside my pack during the day, so others won't see the flourescent color from a mile away...

Thanks.