[pct-l] Lightweight, cheap Ice Axe

I received an excellent ice axe from Austria today. It is a Stubai Tour
Light 77cm. Weight on my scale is 1# 2.5 oz. [I had actually ordered a
shorter, 53cm, version that is lighter but am very happy with the
additional length. The axe comes with a rubber guard on the tip and a built
in strap. Compared to the REI standard it is considerably lighter . . . and
cheaper. I paid about $60 for it. An equivilent axe, but heavier, would
cost about $100. from REI once you added the strap and guard.

Theirfore, my "Hike-the-trail-snow-and-all" gear is
1. Grivel "Gripper" walking crampons [6 point crampons without front
points] that have bindings suitable for flexible boots
2. Stubai Tour Light ice axe [14oz to 18oz depending on length]
Total weight for both is about 2 pounds. Cost about $130 for both.

My hope, of course, is that all the snow will be melted next week and I can
leave this stuff home!

The Knife Shop - Morocutti online
Homepage: http://www.knifeshop.com/
e-mail:   contact@knifeshop.com