No Subject

> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 98 21:17 EDT
> From: PCT-L Guest Post <guest@saffron.hack.net>
> Subject: [pct-l] Occupations
>
> * Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
> * by our guest Kimberly Myers <kam@pe.net>.
> * Please use <kam@pe.net> to reply to the sender.
>
> Hi, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am
> thoughoughly enjoying the dialog especially about
> horse camping/packing which is a dream of mine.
> Since I work 8 hrs 5 days a week, I look forward to my 3 week yearly
> vacations. Since most writers sound as if they do hiking all the time, where
> does the money come from? One man said he had $40k wrapped up in his
> horses/gear. Jimminy! I own some young horses which I would like to camp and
> pack with but they are too young yet and one is barley green broke. I get
out
> on the trail 1-3 times a week and try to get into areas that may resemble
> mountain trails but I'm a flat-lander. How do you folks do it? I mean
take off

> work or whatever and do what you love? I'm jealous. I did sign up for
> BackCountry Horsemen to get a start. I guess I'll go back to lurking and
being

> envious. Have fun! -Kim
nvious. Have fun! -Kim

... lurker rears head for a moment...

Well, when I am working, I go out hiking pretty much every weekend (the
advantage of living right next to the mountains -- Boulder, CO ). When
I get the itch (must scratch!) to go on a longer hike (e.g., thru), I
tend to just quit my job. A lot of people thru-hike when they are between
jobs (layoff, career change, whatever), or just out of school and don't
want to
join the world of corporate america just yet.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you want out of life. Yes, with the
tight job market right now it is easy to take time off and find another job
in a couple months, but it plays havoc with your career. If you want to be
a successful lawyer, executive, professor, etc., you have to put in the
hours and make the sacrifices that corporate success requires. I think that
most thruhikers believe that they get far more from their hiking than what
they give up in terms of "professional" success, though.

... guess I'll go back to lurking, too...

mark