[pct-l] pack materials

Hello,
    Does anyone moonlight from the list as an engineer and can possibly
answer this question? I sent my new Gregory Robson (that had carbon fiber
stays) back to the factory, for a long story I won't get into. In discussion
with Wayne he agreed to include the hydration system and carbon fiber stays
from the Robson, and give me a "Thru-Hiker" Pack instead (which comes with
aluminum stays). When the new pack arrived, my carbon fiber stays were not
included. Instead, he provided a set of graphite stays. I recall him using
these stays in the late 70's and 80's. They look like a type of laminate,
with a lighter colored material sandwiched between. Does anyone know of any
disadvantages of graphite used in stays, over that of carbon fiber?

-Ken Marlow