[pct-l] re: Echo Lake to Castle Crags

randy wrote:
>>>   I'm going to be hiking the section of the PCT between Echo Lake and
Castle Crags
starting on Aug 15th and I was curious about which set of maps Weathercarroat
and Sam are using. Are they the USGS topo maps or is there a better set
available ??

Also, what is the bear situation like on that stretch this year ?? Is the
heavy
snow causing any increase in their activity around the trail ??   <<<

weathercarrot and sam are using the PCT guidebook and the strip maps
included therein.  those maps i believe are reprints of usgs topos, but put
together conveniently for long distance hiking (ie the trail soemtimes only
crosses a corner of a single topo, but appears in the guidebook in
conjunction with the topos around it).  they are detailed.

i'll hopefully be seeing them on saturday if i can calculate accurately
where they will be (fowler lake?), plus i'll be hearing from them
periodically.  i'll be sure to ask them about bear activity.

mike
ke kaahawe   AT92 TYT94 PCT2000
mikeh@royalrobbins.com