Re: [pct-l] Snow pack

I did an overnight 7/2 - 7/4 from Clark Fork (off Hwy 108 approx. 20
miles west of Sonora Pass) up to Highlands Lakes (8650 feet).  The Lakes
were frozen and the whole area was covered in 3 - 5 feet of snow.  Much
of Carson Iceberg Wilderness Area and almost all of Emigrant Basin is
inaccessible due to snow (according to the Forest Service, at least).
Hiking up to Highland Lakes was tough--I could have used crampons and an
ice axe in a few places.  According to a pilot who flew over Emigrant
Wilderness about a week ago, it is still covered with snow and Emigrant
Lake (among others I'm sure) is frozen over.

--

Matthew Kavanaugh
Encino, CA

"When I run, I become, of necessity, a good animal.  But I also become,
for less obvious and
more mysterious reasons, a good person."
--Dr. George Sheehan