[pct-l] ALDHA-West reports first ever PCT thru-hike, 1952

The current issue of The Distance Hikers Gazette, published by ALDHA-West,
has several articles written by and about the first person to thru-hike the
PCT.  Martin Papendick, now 75 and living in a nursing home near Portland,
OR, writes about his thru-hikes of the AT in 1951 and the PCT in 1952.
Martin's story is re-printed, with permission, from the original article
published by "Appalachia" in June 1953.  A companion story, "Early PCT
Vision and Concept", points out that by the time Papendick thru-hiked the
PCT, the trail had been around for 20 years.  In fact, the second edition of
the guide book, "Pacific Crest Trailway", had been out for 7 years.  Karl
Diederich, the Editor for the Gazette and a PCT thru-hiker, talked at length
with Martin about his accomplishments.

The Distance Hikers Gazette is mailed to members of ALDHA-West.  If you are
interested in joining and receiving the current and next issue of the
Gazette, dues are just $5.  To join for this year and the 1998-99 membership
year, it's $15.  For more information, go to our web site at:

http://gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw/

Or, write to:
ALDHA-West
PO Box 651
Vancouver, WA  98666

Don't forget, our annual gathering will be held in Cascade Locks, Oregon on
October 2-4, 1998.  See you there!

Roger Carpenter,
Secretary/Treasurer