Re: [pct-l] Cabazon

In a message dated 98-05-28 16:53:19 EDT, kmarlow@ngs.org writes:

<< When I did the PCT in '82, I dropped down from the San Jacintos into
Cabazon. Is this still the case via a permanent section? >>

No, the trail switchbacks down the east side of the mountain now, down Snow
Canyon Road (with a water fountain), through the village of Snow Creek, across
the 2-mile wash (San Gorgonio River), under Interstate 10 to West Palm Springs
Village (purely residential). There is a "school" there at the off-ramp. They
let me come inside to use the telephone once. Other than that, they aren't all
that friendly. I don't think they get many "drop-in visitors."

<< At the time, people stayed here, as it  was the last water (anyway you get
it) till the town of Whitewater. I  haven't purchased more recent guidebooks.

The last water now is in the village of Snow Creek (or a short-mile south
where the trail from the mountain meets the road). The trail no longer goes
thru the town of Whitewater, but does cross (ford) the Whitewater River about
10-11 miles up the trail.

For anyone that wants to go into Cabazon, use the road SOUTH of
Interstate-10. The road north of I-10 does not go that far west (only to
residentail areas in the foothills north of I-10). Folks at the school had
told me the road north of I-10 went west into Cabazon, but a nice young lady
(Nancy Vance) in a Jaguar said "No, it doesn't" and drove me down there.
Thanks, Nancy.

Charlie Jones