RE: [pct-l] Lightening your pack, for couples.

On 05/27/98 15:52:45 you wrote:

>Are there commercial couplers, or do you make them yourself?  We were
>planning to make one and would welcome any suggestions you may have.

Walt and I shared a Marmot sleeping bag last year and it worked great.  We
purchased the coupler that went with it and slept on top of our thermorest
pads for two nights and then decided we WERE NOT going to slip and slide
another night and put the thermorests inside and slept much better.  I also
made a soft nylon sheet liner because we were concerned that our stinky and
dirty bodies would get the bag filty on the inside -- it slipped around, was
too hot and we shipped it home.  As for the coupler, by the middle of June
we had uncoupled the coupler and sent it home too -- the Marmot bag opens
flat like a comforter allowing us to independantly control the temperature
we needed.  Walt sleeps hot and I sleep cold!  Tim is right, you only have
to carry ONE sleeping bag -- very important too!

I have noticed that our Eastern Mountain Sport stores here in Virginia sell
some generic couplers, Camphmor or REI may do the same.  I know that both
Marmot and Feathered Friends sell couplers to match their bags and Tim is
right on -- you pay dearly and it took almost 4 months last year to get our
bag!  It was worth it and we are using it again this year -- without the
sheet liner and coupler!  I washed the Marmot sleeping bag on the delicate
cycle  with Woolite last year after we got back and put it in the dryer.  It
is no worse for the washing and is still keep us warm and comfortable.

Happy Trails

Pat   #:>)

 and Feathered Friends.  Feathered