[pct-l] Section F Trail Conditions

Hikers,

Friends (Cher, Trish, Jan, Jim) and I just returned from day-hiking the PCT
from Robin Bird Spring (Map F6) south to the Cameron Road overpass (Map F1) on
Highway 58 near Mojave. For this part of the PCT, there was snow visible on
the Piute Mountains above us, but none on the trail. Hikers wearing running
shoes should have their boots with them for the miles of rocky road / trail 14
or so miles from the Zond Wind Farms to Golden Oaks Springs.

For other section hikers, the access from Kelso Valley up Jawbone Canyon Road
to the PCT was open for 4WD, high-ground-clearance vehicles. We drove up on
Piute Mountain Road and turned south on Jawbone Canyon Road to reach Robin
Bird Spring and the PCT. That section of Jawbone had many ditches from excess
water crossing the road. There is also a "large" rock blocking half the road
(in the middle). We were able to pass with Explorer-width vehicles by driving
with our wheels on top on the road's berm. I doubt that a full-width vehicle
could get around the rock. Ford Expeditions can forget driving around the
rock.

When we returned on Monday to retrieve shuttle vehicles, we drove Jawbone
Canyon Road from the south (up Geringer Grade) to reach Robin Bird Spring.
There were many washouts across the road, but we managed by crossing the
washouts on the high side of the road. Crossing some washouts even on the high
side was "marginal," but the low side would have been impossible (some
washouts were 3-5 feet deep on the low side of the road).

Available water through this 34-mile section is still limited to Golden Oak
Springs and Robin Bird Springs (our trailhead). There was a small creek with
adequate flow (on May 24) about 1/2 mile south of Golden Oak Springs, but it
is insignificant because of its proximity to the springs.

North of Robin Bird Springs, hikers should find running streams (seasonal, I
suspect) north as far as Landers Meadow near Piute Mountain Road).

Hiker Sightings: For anyone following the progress of Claudette and Roger
Stevens (Washington), we met them on the road just south of the Zond Wind Farm
on Sunday (5/24). About 20 minutes later, we met Jason and Gary Williams
(Orange Co. CA / Yosemite area). Claudette and Roger mentioned that they had
not seen anyone on the trail since leaving Agua Dulce. I assume Jason and
Roger probably caught up with the Stevens at Golden Oak Springs.

We also met the Russian family of five just a few minutes south of Golden Oak
Springs.

Everyone was doing great; looking healty and happy.

Happy hiking,
Charlie Jones
San Diego