[pct-l] Re: [Agua Dulce

>To complicate their next leg to Auga Dulce, the Century 21 address used as
>a box drop (there is no post office in Auga Dulce) is reportedly closed.
>Various rumors are going around in hiker circles in Wrightwood that the
>boxes are being held at a general store there with the name of  Ray or
>Richard Canyon Market.  Hope that is the case.  I'll let everyone know.

The rumors are true about the Century 21, almost.  Bernice Canutt, who owns
Century 21 is encountering hard times, not much action in selling homes now
so she is not at the office very much.  It is a shame not many hikers will
get to meet her, she and Joan Byrd from our last years hiker were the best
of angles! The mini market is closer in town.  They are trying to have the
Post Office be part of their store and in the last few weeks they found out
what a rough time hikers were having trying to get their boxes and have
requested that the Post Office and UPS deliver any hikers boxes, etc.
delivered to them since the Century 21 was closed most of the time.

In many ways it would be better to pick up boxes here if the Century 21 is
no longer going to be open on a regular basis.  The new mini market owners
are very hiker friendly and the store is closer in town in a little shopping
complex that has an awsome Mexican restaurant that I'd heartily recommend
eating at.  The mini mart is wanting to cater to hikers and last year the
new owner took a survey from most of us on what we would suggest he stock up
on for this years hikers -- pretty thoughtfull and smart!  His store also
has a delicatessen and they made great sandwhiches.  There are several
booths you can use to write in your journals and they started their own
unofficial hiker register.  This was last year and I don't know what his new
rules might be now that he has had a chance to work through last year.  Some
of the other merchants are unaware of the confusion this year about the
hikers box delima and have not been too gracious I was told.

Agua Dulce will be hosting the June 6th Trail Days festivities and by that
time I hope the situation should have been straightened out.  Hope lots of
past and present PCT hikers plan on attending.  My husband and I will be
there before we start on June 13th to continue our hike from Sierra City
where we left the trail last July.  Hope this helps to clarify the situation
a bit.

I would be interested to know what the trail conditions have been like for
Alison and Richard from Anza to Idyllwild and then to Big Bear?  Walt and
his hiking partner are leaving Anza this morning heading for Idyllwild. They
see the snow and don't know if the warmer weather has made conditions any
more accessible or worse.  I would appreciate any information so I can
pass it along.  They plan on staying with Randy at the Mission Creek Hostel
again.  I hear he has fliers distributed along the way.

Pat -- The Happy Trails Couple   #:>)

http://www.hack.net/lists *