RE: [pct-l] JMT in July

My wife and I did the JMT in late July early Aug. of '95.  That was our
fourth time hiking the JMT.  We did it as a practice hike for the PCT;
which we did the next year.

The snow conditions in '95 were very similar to this year; a lot of snow
and a late melt.  For most of our hike the snow level was about 10,000
feet.  We took our ice axes, but no crampons.  The ice axes were needed
for security and to get over the cornices on top of Penchot and Mather
passes.  The worst part was the very cold river crossings.  It really
hurts when you cross a thigh deep river that is flowing out of a frozen
lake 50 years up stream.  Many of the rivers you will cross are in the
high country, so they will be narrower and about knee deep.  The one
river to be careful of is Bear Creek.  It will be running high and fast.

Since we have done the JMT five times, we bring, but do not use, our
maps and compass.  If there is a good bit of snow be sure that you know
how to find your way with them.  You will need them.

If you are hiking northbound and Forester is still covered with snow I
have seen and heard of people getting all turned around.  Therefore,
head to the left across the snow field and get on top of the ridge.
There might be a small cornice here.  Then follow the ridge down to its
end.  Somewhere along the way you will start to see the trail.  When you
get to the end go to the east side and switchback toward the pass.  You
should see signs of the trail below you in a little valley.  Get down
there.  From there on you should be ok.

One advantage to a lot of snow is you will have less of a bear problem.
The bears are down in the low country where the food is.

My wife and I have changed this summers plans, we are going to hike from
Cottonwood Pass to Tahoe in Aug.  Hope to see you all out there.

Ann and Tim
The Ravens  PCT '96