Re: [pct-l] John Muir Trail

Michael,
    Most of the posters on this list try to give answers based on their
own experience. The question that was posted was related to the amount
of snow that is on the trail right now, an area few hikers have been
recently. The heavy amount of snow and the fact that some areas are
still getting snow may make veterans reluctant to respond to your
question with a definitive answer. However, I can't see that changing
direction would make any difference. As to the ice ax/crampon
question... even on normal years there is a great deal of snow in the
passes at higher elevations. I would carry the ax throughout the JMT.
Having not seen the condition of the snow. I can't speak to the crampon
question. But don't use either unless you know how to use them.
Steve