[pct-l] Fwd: quick answer

-- BEGIN included message

From owner-pct-l  Thu May 21 12:01:54 1998
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:01:10 +0100
To: pct-l@saffron.hack.net
From: drufner@ucsd.edu (dan rufner)
Subject: quick answer

I haven't responded in awhile, in part due to the fact that the topics
haven't been of much interest to me lately due to much politicing going on.
Thanks for getting back to trail topics.

Michael wrote in with the snippet and question:

"I am planning a trip on the Muir trail beginning July 1.  The original
plan was to hike South to North and starting at Cottonwood pass (and
then approaching and climbing Whitney from the West), but when I called
the Whitney Ranger station in Lone Pine, I was advised that there would
probably still be snow at the peak and other passes.

My hiking partner and I do not have technical experience with crampons
or ice axes, and my guess is that Whitney is probably not the place to
learn!

Unfortunately the question wasn't answered by anyone.  In fact there was no
type of answer to any type of question about hiking the PCT at all.
Someone said that was not the norm, so I guess I'll hang in there.  If
anyone has an answer to the question posed by the gentleman I quoted, I
sure would appreciate an answer."

The reason you may not have heard is some people reply directly to the
sender.  Also, a number of people on the list have begun summer journeys.
And, unfortunately, a number of knowledgeable people have dropped the list.
So I'll add my thoughts and I know you will get more.

Normally in July you will run into some patchy snow in the Sierras but
nothing too technical. However, this year seems to be a bit more than
normal with predictions (at least ones I've seen) having heavy snowpack on
the passes into August.  If this is true, a number of the passes and peaks
could pose interesting challenges.  True, a number of people should have
passed through so it will be passible without equipment, but being
unprepared for mistakes would be ugly.

I personally don't rely on my crampons much, only on very cold, icy snow or
on steep slopes.  At the time you are going through there should be steps
and, if not, the snow should be soft enough to kick step through.  Crampons
would just ball up with soft snow and be of little use.  An ice axe,
however, is what I would consider a necessity, both for ease in walking, a
cane to get out of postholes, and to self arrest in a fall.

However, just carrying an axe does no good if you don't know how to use it.
I was amazed in '96 at the number of thru hikers carrying axes that had no
training and very little idea how to use it.  Some were even teaching
others bad information while sitting around fires at Kennedy Meadows.  Find
a friend who is comfortable teaching or pay the small price to enroll a day
clinic that will teach the skills.  If you have trouble finding some
consider starting your trip at the north end as either the Yosemite
Climbing guides or a number of companies in Mammoth or Bishop may still be
offering classes late (mountaineering) season.  Without instruction you'll
just be carrying extra weight that may cause more damage if used
inproperly.

Good luck and don't let the snow hold you back - it's much more fun!
Dan

Dan Rufner
Outback Adventures Customer Service Manager
9500 Gilman Drive -0004
La Jolla, CA 92093-0004
(619) 534-0684
drufner@ucsd.edu