[pct-l] Another Good-bye

First I'll take off the disguise I adopted to resubscribe to post this:
Howdy, this is Bill Kristy (bck@dev.urel.berkeley.edu).

Before Brick boots me again, I first wanted to say that I will miss the
list, and thanks for all the help and great info.  I agree that Brick
deserves thanks for volunteering his time.

Brick posted:
>A list member posted an edited version of that warning message to the
>list.  I consider posting a private e-mail to the list, without the
>authors permission to be a major violation of nettequite. That post >is
what has caused most of the recent upset.

Posting private email is indeed against nettiquite.  But the email BJ
quoted was an email from Brick-as-List-Admin, not Brick-as-individual!
That aside, several posts to the list last Winter quoted private email
(Brick himself quoted Scar, and someone else was quoted, I believe in an
exchange about zipstoves).  Did Brick warn himself?  BJ got no warning
for posting Brick's unrelated warning, she was just booted.

As was I immediately after the post I sent Sunday, copied at the end of
this message.  I never received a single word of warning or explanation.
And the only way BJ or I knew we'd been booted was that we stopped
getting posts.  (I was denied resubscription until I assumed this false
identify.)  What did I violate?  I posted BJ's post, not anyone's email.

Should booting occur without warning?  Shouldn't it be in public?

Tom wrote:
>Third, I believe the message sent out to BJ was a threat of >censorship
based on an entirely subjective standard by someone with >the authority
to back up the threat.
>Fourth, I've read Brick's response.  He doesn't appear to acknowledge
>that he has a role in this problem.  That is, in his mind, he did
>nothing wrong.  Additionally, he states he may do it again.
>The guarantee of free speech only counts when it applies to things >you
don't want to hear.

Right on.  Can there be real discussion here if people have to watch
what they say for fear of being "disappeared"?

FYI, a call to PCTA told me that the one to speak to about Brick's
actions is Exec. Director Robert Ballou, 916-349-2109, who is away until
Thursday, May 21.  I mention this for those understandably concerned
about questioning the List Admin on this list.  Just because Brick is a
volunteer doesn't mean we can't get another one.

As I sign off, let us all say together, to steal from the Twilight Zone:
"It's GOOD that you sent Bill and BJ and the rest to the cornfield,
Brick, it's *very* good."

I (Bill Kristy) was booted immediately after posting this:

>To:            pct-l@saffron.hack.net
>Subject:       Speech (was Re: [pct-l] JMT permits)
>Date:          Sun, 17 May 1998 15:19:59
>
>BJ received this:
>>>If the tone and temper of your list posts does not become friendly,
>>>you will be permanently removed from the list.
>>>-Brick Robbins
>>>PCT List Admin
>
>I believe this is totally unfair.  After someone is
>
>> ....called a nazi (by both Dave & Brick)
>
>, Dave uses the "b" word, and Brick the term "crap", should we expect
>them to like it?
>
>Discussion is relatively empty if only one point of view is allowed
>(remember "Minds are like parachutes..."?).  Does our List Admin hold
>himself and Dave to the same standard that he holds BJ to?  If not,
>shouldn't a List Admin be more impartial than that?
>
>I believe that of the 3, BJ is the one who is always as polite and
>respectful as one could ask.  And, in my eyes, no one makes a bigger
>contribution to this List.  Her posts contain either very helpful
>factual information, or a very well-reasoned point of view.
>
>>    Well...   anybody want to be PCT e-mail pen-pals?
>
>With pleasure.  In addition, if BJ is removed from the List then
>I'll resign; not mainly because the List would be poorer for it, but
>because I'll choose to not be part of what appears to me to be a
>threat of censorship.
>
>>>Bill, who plans to carry *3* Garcias (ugh) for a 19-day stretch
>>>between resupplies
>>
>>   Jeez, Bill, that's horrible! What stretch is that?! My hat's off to
>>you - that's a lot of weight
>
>*Two* 19-day stretches, actually, starting over Cottonwood Pass so I
>don't kill myself going over Trail Pass.  My own idiot choice,
>though:  I'm taking lots of time to savour and peakbag this trip.
>
>Happy trails,
>Bill

Respectfully,
Bill