[pct-l] PCT-L admin notes

I was offline for about 24 hours, and came back to a full mailbox.

Let me clear some things up.

This mailing list is not a place where a person can rant and rave in a rude
manner about any topic they want. It is intended to be a place of
reasonable discourse about the PCT within the guidelines set down in the
list charter. Ryan Brooks and I administer the list, and we determine what
is acceptable and what is not. Someone has to do it or this list will end
up looking like rec.backcountry. If you are not comfortable with this, then
please feel free to unsubscribe. I think most of the list would appreciate
it if you don't take a parting shot about how unfair this is, or how evil
Brick is. They have read plenty of those in the last day.

Unfortunately, recently I felt that it was necessary to request that
certain list members moderate their posts. I have done this before, I will
do it again if need be. Those list members were not unsubscribe. All
parties received the same warning.

A list member posted an edited version of that warning message to the list.
I consider posting a private e-mail to the list, without the authors
permission to be a major violation of nettequite. That post is what has
caused most of the recent upset. If the parties involved had discussed the
warning with me (one did), instead of screaming "censorship!!!" to the
list, then all of this upset would have been avoided.

I realize that many of you hold strong opinions about the backcountry
because you love it, just as I do. Please remember that we are all on the
same side of the big issues. There is room for civilized disagreement
between us without name calling, and hateful posts.

Folks, I do this list admin stuff for fun. Reading my mail this morning was
NOT fun.

I spend several hours each week on list stuff: unsubscribing folks who turn
off their e-mail without unsubscribing from the list (I get several HUNDRED
of these bounces each week).  We get spammers attacking the list. We get
list members reposting the spam to the list over and over.

I have enough headaches without being called names.