[pct-l] permits for so.Cal

I don't really want to enter the fray over regulations, but the debate did
spark a question.  I am starting a 4 week jaunt on Saturday, from the border
to Agua Dulce.  My question is: Do I need any kind of permits to be on these
sections?  And if so, what's the best way to get them on very short notice?
If I'm supposed to get one, what are the chances that I would actually run
into a ranger, have my permit asked for, or get booted off the trail if I
didn't have one?  -Ajax