Re: [pct-l] "stealth"/Whitney Trail

At 11:09 PM 5/16/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>  I had to post my usual "Just abide by the blankety-blank rule!"

For those of you who have trouble with the definition of Trail Nazi, BJ has
expressed it beautifully.   A Trail Nazi is more concerned with the
sanctity of the rule than the purpose of the rule.   The purpose of the
rule in question is to protect bears.  It attempts to do this by putting a
plastic "Tupperware" around your food.  Guess how long it will take the
bears to figure out how to open this particular tupperware?  The rule does
not protect the bears.   What would protect the bears is better cans.
Better cans exist, and are on the net:  http://www.wcf.com/bearcan.html

Now that does not mean you should not use bear boxes when available, it
does not mean you shouldn't bear bag, but it does mean you should tell the
NPS to get off its duff and approve other cans that are cheaper and better
and lighter.  And refusal to do so and bitch at folks as above is the
essence of Trail Naziism.

--
Dave Gomberg	mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
FormMaestro  <http://www.wcf.com>