[pct-l] Re: Tarps (Brian)

Hey there,

Brian asked:

-How bad is it making the transition from rain gear to tarp (and back) in
pouring rain?  How wet do you get setting  up the "tarp" while wearing no
"poncho."

I don't usually make the transition.  I have rain pants, but if I'm in my
usual uniform (Tee, shorts, Teva's and Deet) I don't bother.  If I have
on the poncho and the wind is manageable I'll just drive on.  Yeah, my
arms, lower legs and feet get wet, but big deal.  They were wet when I
was born too.  This all changes if I have on boots, (which I dislike and
will only wear if I absolutely have to due to load or terrain) or long
pants (which I dislike a little bit more and will only wear if the temp
is scary cold) then I'll throw on the rain pants which protect the pants
and socks.  I've probably only seen "pouring rain" a few dozen times
since moving up to AK in '86.  Where I lived I would just experienced
that week long drizzle that apparently often blesses WA/OR also.  If I
did run into serious rain I'd just keep on until I found a good (dry)
spot under tree cover or if that wasn't possible I'd just tear open my
shirt to expose the "S" emblazoned on my chest and use my superpowers to
set camp before another rain drop hit the ground.  Believe me, with as
simple a setup as I use anyone could be under cover and singeing their
leg hairs on a whisperlite induced flare up in three minutes - five tops
if they're in a coma.  You can't get very wet in three minutes.

And:

- And does the hood tie-off really work, or is there a serious leak in
the middle of your ceiling?

Absolutely, especially on the Army issue poncho.  I can't get quite as
tight a closure on my "backpacking" poncho because of the design of the
cord, but it's more a psychological thing.  I have had no problems.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]