[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #474

Joe wrote:
"...my other alternative was to use one of those sierra wood burning stoves
which i really enjoy and
use here in maine all the time. but being a turnip from maine i don't know
if there is woody type stuff to burn in southern cal. any input there would
be appreciated too."

I'm new to this list but have some ideas...my husband & I hiked the PCT from
Mexico to Sierra City, then Cascade Locks to Canada in '94 (time started to
run out so we tossed a coin & decided on Washington over Oregon...).
Regarding the Zip stove: worrying about the fire hazard is NOT WORTH IT!!!!
We used one in the Southern Sierra - burned primarily pinon twigs - and
found it to be more of a nuisance - and were very worried about the relative
level of control with this stove compared to the butane stove we also used.
Most people we hiked with used a white-gas fueled stove with good success -
and it probably wouldn't hurt to use a good multi-fuel stove, as long as you
keep it clean.
There's a burn area in the southern Sierra just north of Kennedy Meadows
that's the result of a hiker-started fire which is quite convincing with
respect to using a wood-fueled stove.  We liked the butane because of the
beauty of being able to switch on & light the gas immediately without having
to pump the reservoir, and so that we didn't have to mess with liquid fuel.
However, we had an unusual re-supply method which enabled us to have a ready
fuel supply at resupply points.  (If anyone wants to hear about this in a
future post, I'd be happy to share.)

Re: dehydrating food: the large bags or boxes of frozen veggies dehydrate &
reconstitute really well.  I purchased large quantities from Smart & Final
(in California) and also from Price Club/Costco.  If you have a
warehouse-style grocery near you, check out its frozen vegetable section.

Hope this gets through - I'm not sure if I'm a subscriber yet!!! ;-)

Christine
cmkudija@earthlink.net

Christine Kudija
Santa Clarita, CA