[pct-l] Re: Going Stoveless

As with all food matters, it all comes down to personal preference.  My
wife and I are taking a stove with us on our PCT hike this summer, but
we only plan to use it for one meal a day.  Most all of our food is
finger food.  It wouldn't surprise me a bit if we ditch the stove half
way thru.  Our menu contain over 30 nutritious foods, only about 5 of
them require cooking.  The rest taste great without cooking.  We could
certainly eat happily and nutritiously without a stove, but for us
there's nothing like a hot meal at the end of a long day.

The only draw back to cooking food (aside from the weight) is KP.  We've
solved that problem by cooking all of our food in heavy duty zipper
freezer bags.  They work great for cooking pasta, chili, rice, bulgar,
spagetti sauce, or any of the "Just add water" entrees.  It also makes
it a lot easier to save leftovers for breakfast.

As my sister and I say, "Everything taste after a long hike, even warm
DIRT." :)

Do what feels good!

TednDeb
PCT  Class of 1998