Re: [pct-l] going stoveless?

On Tue, 5 May 1998 07:39:40 -0400, Ripperton, Matt A wrote:

>  I am considering going without my stove, pot, and fuel to save weight and room in
>the pack (this would also eliminate the previously mentioned dilemma).  Does
>anyone have experience doing this over a sort-of extended period (I'll be
>out 4 weeks)?  My primary concerns would be lack of variety and lack of good
>nutrition.  Does anyone have any good ideas for lightweight,
>energy-sustaining, non-cook dinners?     -Ajax

I never carried a stove when I did the AT or the CT.  I enjoyed not having
to carry the weight of a stove/pots/fuel, and I wasn't dependent on having
the large amounts of water you need to cook with.  That allowed me to more
easily stealth camp away from water sources.  You also don't have to worry
about running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere...uncooked Ramen has
little appeal.

I tend to carry things like granola bars, dry cereal, peanuts, raisins,
bagels, peanut butter, and chocolate.   Peanut butter and bagels are pretty
easy to pack and are quite energy dense.   Just look for palatable noncook
items.   I really don't seem to miss having hot food all the time and I
like the freedom from a stove my approach has.

As to whether my no cook foods have the same nutritional content as your
cooked foods...don't know, but I've hiked about 3000 miles using my
selection so it can't be all that bad.

Jeff
"Wired"
AT 95-96
CT 97
A volunteer for the "Olympus Mons Summit Expedition" - Mars 2005

Jeffrey Grinnell            <grinnell@capital.net>