Re: [pct-l] re: fuel bottles

Hello All -

Ken said:

>Thanks for the tip. I'll try this method, rather than risk it any
>other way. I can imagine that even with the caps off, the bottles
>could look suspecious through an X-ray. This way, they know right up
>front what I'm carrying on and they can verify that they're harmless.

I have also carried empty (washed with soap, rinsed, and stored open) fuel
bottles in my carryon baggage.  The first time I didn't think to take it
out of the bag and the security guard wanted to see what it was (no problem
once she found it was empty...I honestly don't think that she noticed that
it was a fuel bottle).  The second time I had them out and the guard
sniffed both of them (for gas fumes, I presume) before sending me on.

I have also used a bus to get to faraway hikes.  I have seen a gallon can
of Coleman fuel sticking out of other folks baggage (stored under the bus).
I don't know what the rules are, but I thought about that little bomb
under my fanny for quite a few miles <g>.

- Charlie II  AT (MEGA'93)
             PCT (Mex@Can'95)