[pct-l] re:Matt/Airlines

Matt writes:
I've heard that the best way to carry a full pack on a plane is to
stuff it, empty, along with all your other junk loose, into a very large
duffel bag.  Has anyone tried this?  Or done it any other way that might
work better?  ....

I have heard that the Airlines won't let you take your fuel bottle
(with or without fuel in it), and sometimes not even your stove, on the
plane, checked or carry-on.

Hi Matt,
When taking my pack on the airlines, I've had the pack fully packed, nearly
as usual, eccept with items that may break, bend or dent, in the middle of
the pack, surrounded by clothing as padding. Over the pack, I then slip the
pack into an old heavy canvas duffle bag. This keeps packstraps from
catching on conveyors and keeps the pack away from abrasion, most in-transit
soiling and away from eyes of those who might want to make-off with it. If I
have to hump your pack a good distance from a parking lot to check-in, I'll
put the duffle over the pack once I'm near check-in, as a pack for a long
trip can be weighty. Each time I've done this, I've never had to carry the
duffle with me, once at a trailhead. On my JMT trip this summer, I'll be in
a situation where I'll want to mail the duffle to people picking me up on
the opposite end of the trail, or, donate it to someone in Yosemite Valley
and plan ahead of time that a second duffle was sent to my transportation
friends or to Lone Pine. Your plan of putting everything unpacked in the
duffle would work just as well, as long as you protected delicate items and
didn't mind the hassle of carrying a large, heavy duffle.

The stove and fuel bottle situation, I've heard can be a problem. Although
apparently, enforcement or identification of these items through X-ray,
doesn't seem to be 100%. A coworker just came back with three others, from a
Chilean expedition. The group and a couple stoves and several bottles. I
wouldn't EVEN THINK of carrying a fuel container (attached to the stove or
otherwise) if it wasn't completely dry and void of fumes(We're talking like
off-the-shelf interior condition). Similarly, any stove components should be
thoroughly cleaned and aired-out. Although I'm not condoning it, I've heard
of some individuals disassembling MSR-style stoves to an unrecognizable
scattering of parts throughout the pack. That is my plan for this summer's
hike. As far as the fuel bottles go, I'll include those in the pack with the
lids off and at the opposite end of the pack. We'll see what happens.

-Ken Marlow